50 Shades of Grey

50 Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades #1)



Author: E.L. James
Review By: Courtney
Published By: Vintage
Date: May 26th 2011
Genre: Adult Romance/Erotica
Pages: 362 pages


 When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.



As I have learned, this book started out as a Twilight FanFic...I'm guessing this is the reason I don't like it so much...I seem to have a problem with the character building in this story. In the beginning we are learning about Ana Steel and how shes about to go interview this multi-billionaire for her roommate and best friend Katherine Kavinaugh. I enjoyed the beginning but as the story went on I felt the character Ana was lacking in my interest department, to me the story turned into only information about Christian Grey. Oddly enough the sexual parts in this book did not bother me or make me feel like I just got caught sneaking in the boys locker room. I felt it also lacked some potential to be erotic. 

The book is so-so to me. Just like with Twilight. I enjoy books where the lead girl is strong and has a-lot of power. In Twilight Bella was weak to me until the end and she didn't have much of a back story she was just there. Just like with Ana she doesn't have to much of a back story and doesn't progress like Christian does. I didn't hate this book but for the first time I also didn't care for it either. I usually love everything I pick up but things for me were missing. There were moments that I liked and some that I did not. I enjoyed Christian Grey a-lot, to me he made the story.I felt I kept reading so I can find out more about him.

I would recommend this to any reader who wants to step outside the box. I always keep an open mind.
So I give this book 2.5 out of 5 stars :( I don't hate this book but I don't love it. The second book is better then this one, so if you can get through it continue because it does get better. I also think there's a lot of hate on this book. There is also a lot of fans for this trilogy. I personally will be excited to see it as a movie.

Will I ever read this book again?? Nope. The last book in this trilogy is my favorite, that one I would read again. Anyways I hope this review helps some people who were doubting the book to at least read it and see what this 50 shades stuff is all about. Christen is worth the read :)

~Good Readings~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regret Me Not

Breaking Waves

Need