Partials

Partials (Partials Sequence #1)


Author: Dan Wells
Review By: Courtney
Published By: Balzer + Bray Harper Collins
Date: February 28th 2012
Genre: YA Dystopia
Pages: 468 pages


The human race is all but extinct after a war with Partials--engineered organic beings identical to humans--has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by RM, a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island while the Partials have mysteriously retreated. The threat of the Partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to RM in more than a decade. Our time is running out.

Kira, a sixteen-year-old medic-in-training, is on the front lines of this battle, seeing RM ravage the community while mandatory pregnancy laws have pushed what's left of humanity to the brink of civil war, and she's not content to stand by and watch. But as she makes a desperate decision to save the last of her race, she will find that the survival of humans and Partials alike rests in her attempts to uncover the connections between them--connections that humanity has forgotten, or perhaps never even knew were there.



So this book came out in the beginning of 2012 and has been on my radar for months. Just recently I bought it and couldn't read it because of the holiday season, hours went up and I got busy. Then I came down with Pneumonia and although bad to have, it gave me time to read. 

The first page kicks you into the book with Kira training in the hospital maternity ward going over yet another dead baby. While reading this book I had no idea what the heck a Partial was, since I didn't read any reviews on this book. I seriously chose this book from description alone, I thought they were just cloned humans not Engineered Robots that are pretty much Superman re-made. We built them to fight for us in wars and they did, but then they rebelled and released a toxin into the air called RM and pretty much killed everyone. 

So what they are trying to do it figure out how to cure RM, all the babies are dying from the disease because they are not immune. Kira is extremely smart and very observant, and everyone around her seems to be oblivious to the government. Xochi is the only one of them who really sees their government for who they are, and slowly Kira comes to see it that way too. I can't say much more into the plot of this book without giving to much of it away. Really all I can say is that Kira sets out to find the cure of RM with the help of some people and the reluctance of others. Then the plot thickens and more things come to light and by the end you are jumping out of your chair screaming at the book because it ended and now you have to wait for the second one to come out. *sigh*

I always know the end of the book their are always going to be cliff hangers. The last couple chapters there was one, and I was expecting it, actually I was hoping it to be true before hand. So when I read the absolute last page I screamed REALLY!!! my husband sitting beside me watching his cartoons looked at me, then I had to explain how shocked I was and what had happened. Of course he really didn't care, but to me it was a amazing ending. I'm usually not shocked and I figure out the ending but this time I didn't.

I have to say this for all the people who for some reason read the last page of a book before starting (like my little sister) DO NOT READ THE LAST PAGE!!! it will seriously ruin the shocker that I had.

I also have to add why some people had problems with this book. I understand yes shes a 16 year old girl, but readers should understand that circumstances as Kira's make you grow up faster and have to learn quicker. Also there is some romance in there. Not the sappy romance but just enough to really complete the story. I recommend this book to everyone who reads, even to my niece who doesn't read. She doesn't know what shes missing....

Anyways I will end this with giving the book a 5 star review. It was one of the best books I've read this year. I am completely excited for book #2 called Fragments coming out at the end of February and I cannot wait for 2013 to be here since there are a lot of amazing books coming out!!

 I hope you all have a amazing New Year!!!!

 

Comments

  1. I have kind of wanted to read this since it came out, but you know how it goes ~ once a book is out for awhile the excitement dies down and it just fell off my radar. Now my goal is to finish up the series I have started or at least own, first. So it'll have to wait, but I'm glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I know what u mean...It took me a while to get to this book but I finally broke down to read it. i am re-reading a lot of my books, 1 I forget a lot of what happened, and 2 I love the series :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Waves

Regret Me Not

Need