Tithe


Tithe: A Modern Faery Tale (The Modern Faerie Tales #1)

Author: Holly Black
Review By: Courtney
Published By: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Date: April 2004
Genre: YA Fantasy/Fey-Magic
Pages: 331 pages


Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms - a struggle that could very well mean her death.


I once again borrowed this book...I bet you all think does she ever read her own books...at least that's what my husband says. I have a lot of books on my shelves but when I borrow a book I hate to have it for to long since its not mine :) Anyways on with my review...I loved this book, now not like I love Divergent but I really did enjoy reading this story. Its short and to the point and its magical. :)

What I really enjoyed is how the main character Kaye is so realistic. She is the girl next door just with issues. Shes always been weird because of her imaginary friends, who are in reality not so imaginary but only she can see them. Her and her mother travel from place to place (in a band) and don't really have a home. While shes away her friends do not follow and she hasn't heard from them in years. Something happens and Kaye and her mother are forced to go back home to New Jersey and live with her grandmother again...home sweet home.

She loves being home but she still hasn't seen her imaginary friends until one night while shes walking home alone by the woods a knight (Roiben) comes and needs her help. He has a arrow through his chest and if he doesn't get help he will die. Kaye knows this is a fey, because in reality this wouldn't be happening. Hes gorgeous but more of the other world gorgeous, with his hair as silver and glows like the moon. As she helps him he tells her that he has a debt to pay for her help and that he will answer any 3 questions she ask. I knew from the beginning that I wanted there to be a connection between them and it doesn't take long after this encounter to happen.

While Kaye is hanging out with her human friends she realizes there's something wrong with her best friends boyfriend, He keeps hitting on her. While at the cafe he makes his moves only to be interrupted and then of course Roiben shows up and as her third question, asks for his full name (fey cannot give out their full name or they are forever served to what ever you tell them to do). The moment after this scene is very funny and my first time read I never noticed but the second glace through the book I did and laughed...how did I miss the fact she told him to kiss her ass and he did it :) ugh, that's what happens when you get so into a book that you just miss minor details.

Anyways a lot happens afterwards and we come to find she is a fey and a changeling. Come to find out that the imaginary friends she had were pretty much using her and now they want her to pretend to be human so that the evil queen can do a ritual and end up not choosing a human and they can all be free from her rules. A lot of things happen from there, only I don't wanna tell you the most important and on the edge of your seat details because that's for you to read :)

Over all I give this book a 4 and a half stars. Its a lovely book to read and kept me turning the pages. It's just I want more. the second book to this series isn't about Kaye but I do know the third one is so I will be reading that one soon. I say this a a good book for adults to rent from the library and a awesome book for teens to buy. For your school reading list, this will keep them reading :)

I hope I didn't give to much away already in this review. I was super excited to have read this book and usually when I'm excited I say to much : /  so I hope you all enjoyed this review and have joined my blog I can't wait to see what you all think of this book as well!!

~Good Readings~






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Waves

Regret Me Not

Need